6-8 green tomatillos
1 cup of spinach
2 large handuls of cilantro
1 medium onion
2-3 jalapenos or serrano peppers
10 cups vegetable broth or 10 cups water with vegan bouillon powder– low sodium
1/4 cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
4 cloves of garlic
1 large can of Hominy (32 oz)
2 cans of jackfruit from Trader Joe’s (20 oz cans)
1 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp cumin
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Fill a large pot with 10 cups water and bouillon OR 10 cups vegetable broth and boil on high. After pot begins to boil, turn down to simmer.
2. Heat a small pan on medium heat to toast your pepitas. Toast on medium heat for 1-2 minutes stirring constantly to avoid burning seeds.
3. Add pepitas, tomatillos, jalapeños, cilantro, spinach and onion to a blender and blend on high until smooth.
4. Add the green mixture to the pot. Let it simmer for 15-20 minutes. Taste the broth, add salt, cumin and pepper to taste.
5. Shred the jackfruit with your hands or two forks. Add jackfruit to a pan and saute with 1 tbsp of oil, 1 tbsp soy sauce and a tsp of minced garlic until golden/slightly crispy. Set aside.
6. Open can of hominy, drain and rinse. Add to pot of simmering broth.
7. Prepare your toppings. Shred cabbage and slice radishes, limes and onions for toppings.
8. Serve in a bowl, add toppings and enjoy!